Saturday, September 29, 2012

Made it through the first month

Hello All,

Ryan has been up since 6:00 am this morning to watch the FSU game.  They won.  That's all I know about the game...

I am been spoiled over the years in the USA with seedless grapes.  I spent at least 15 minutes this morning cutting the seeds out.  I think I prefer this to biting into the grapes and spitting the seeds out.  Last weekend the principal gave Ryan and me a ton of grapes.  I think we are about half way through.  The hardest part was trying to figure our how to wash the grapes without safe running water.  I boiled some water in a pot on a hot plate and let it cool off, added some vinegar  let the grapes soak for a few minutes and then let them dry.  I guess it worked, that was a week ago and we are doing ok.

Expected the unexpected was somethings we were told when we first got to China.  We were told we got next week off for National Day and Golden week.  Then we were told on Friday that we had class on Saturday.  What?  We would be following the Wednesday schedule so I would have 4 classes and Ryan would have 2. What? not fair! So I had to work on lesson plans because I had nothing planned.  On Saturday morning, we were told that we would not be having class in the morning.  There was an English singing contest for the 1st and 2nd graders and Ryan and I were to be judges.  It was very cute to see the little ones sing English songs.  So we ended up only having to teach 1 class each in the afternoon.   At least I am ready for when we get back for the holiday with all my lesson plans that I worked on.  Also, I'm feeling a bit under the weather so I'm glad I only had one class.  I think one of those little kids must have given me a cold.  I'm not too surprised.  I have seen some interesting things in class: at least once in a first grade class, I see a kid picking his or her nose.  I've had a kid throw up in class. Once, I saw a kid with something black in his hand and went over to see what it was; it was hair.  He had cut hair!  Anyways, I guess I need to use more hand sanitizer.

Since we got paid on Friday in cash we needed to open a bank account.  One of the English teachers said she would take us to the bank. We found out we were the first foreigners to open an account at that branch so it took awhile.  Also, the account is only in Ryan's name. (If you read yesterday's blog by Ryan, you know I kinda has this coming) I'm not sure if they have joint accounts but they said he can give me his pin and I can get money out.


No comments:

Post a Comment