Saturday, November 17, 2012

Rest and recooperate

This was an interesting week.  Julie only taught two and a half days and I only taught three and half days.  On Monday it was business as usual, except Julie was fighting off a cold.  On Tuesday the cold was starting to win but we had our normal schedule.  On Wednesday morning it was time to see the doctor.  That meant we were headed to the hospital.  Apparently, their are doctor's offices but those doctors aren't held in the highest esteem.  After I went downstairs to get Julie breakfast and headed to office to tidy-up.  (On Wednesday's it's Julie and my day to clean-up the office and get the hot water containers filled.  The other teachers were initially concerned about asking me to help but Julie quickly told them that it would be my pleasure.  She's always looking out for me.)  One of our bosses (Ms. Wang) had received my text that Julie needed to see a doctor and told me stop cleaning and go get Julie as a car would be waiting to take us to the hospital.

A fellow English teacher (Ms. Liu) and an administrator (Mr. Wang - no relation) drove us to the Mentougou Hospital.  We walked in the door and headed to the registration counter where they quickly got Julie's information.  Julie was given a card to carry in her wallet and a small notebook that doctors wrote all their notes in so should she need to go to the hospital again she can bring her records with her.  Make the patient take more responsibility for their record keeping, I like it.  After registration our Ms. Liu led us to the instructed department where Julie was able to meet with the doctor (I guess) in about five minutes.  (While the US medical system is well ahead of what we've experienced in China, in the aspect of time waiting by the patient the Chinese are lapping us.) The consult took about three minutes and we were sent to have some blood drawn at the rapid body fluid testing center that was located in the ER.  They had one window for blood and one window for other body fluids.  There were very specific instructions about when some other fluids could and couldn't be accepted translated into English.  It was reassuring that I didn't notice any translation errors on the signs in the hospital. 

It only took another five or ten minutes to wait for the blood to be drawn and then a half-hour to get the results.  We waited in the hall of the ER.  there wasn't an ER waiting room that I noticed but two rows of seats down the center of the ER hallway.  We got a seat right outside of the emergency surgery room.  One lady came in with a pretty nasty looking bandage on her arm and fortunately they closed the door - not always the case.  Privacy is a bit more of a luxury than Julie and I had grown accustom too.

After we waited our half-hour is back upstairs to take the results to doctor Julie had seen earlier.  The doctor (again I am assuming) took a look at the results and after a discussion about any medicines Julie had taken and some other things I am sure but can't confirm, we were given three prescriptions and sent to the pharmacy. A quick trip to the pharmacy an we were out the door and headed back to school.  Julie was told to take the day off and Wednesday's are my easy day - as I only have two classes - I was promptly told to go take care of Julie after the second. 

Julie and I are very lucky to have wonderful hosts.  They take very good care of us and refused to let us pay any of the bills at the hospital, which came out to about 150 yuan ($25 - $30).  Then on Wednesday evening we got a visit from Ms. Wang long after school hours as she was worried about Julie and I had not noticed the text message she sent us asking for an update.  She also brought us a thermometer.  

Come Thursday things had not gotten any better.  Upon this news I was told that we (Julie and I) would not be going to branch schools and I was to stay home and take care of the patient.  Ms. Wang asked what Julie wanted for breakfast and while I had already gotten her something from the dinning hall downstairs I did let her know that Julie wanted either an orange or a banana.  About an hour later two of our fellow teachers stopped by our room with a a bag full of bananas and a bag full of oranges.  By the end of Thursday it was appearing as if the worst was behind us and Julie fought her way in to work Friday morning and survived Kindergarten.  When we got back from Kindergarten we were told that their was an activity on Friday afternoon so we wouldn't be teaching those class and we could have a rest.  This phrase (we could have a rest) must be a close translation to some time off, otherwise Julie and I must always look like we need a nap.

With the weekend upon us hopefully Julie can get back to 100% but she has definitely turned the corner.  Now if we could just get the construction site next door to let us sleep past six.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Ryan

1 comment: