Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Freezing Cold Weekend

So we heard it was going to be cold this weekend.  We had decided we would stay in and stay warm.  Well, Saturday morning came and by 8 was a bored.  So we bundled up and headed to the city.  I had also decided I wanted to take up painted.  Sometimes there's not much to do here and I don't know how more times I can play Monopoly card game. (Which is a great game but Ryan and I have been playing nearly everyday.) (Also, if you know a good card game we can learn using a single deck of cards, let us know). I had asked the other teachers if there was local paint store.  That lead to them getting me some paint from the art teacher for me to have.  Very nice but I want canvas and acrylic paint.  I want acrylic only because I have "extensive" practice with that type from the 2 art classes that I attended last year. :)  Ryan and I headed to the city to go to the Art Museum because there are many art stores near there according to our online research.

Off the the city we went.  With a high was 28, we needed to bundle up.  I thought about wearing everything I own.  Once we got to the city, we tried to go to the Art Museum but you are required to show your passport which we didn't bring.  So, we just need to head back next weekend.  We went to several paint stores and bought paint supplies and canvases.  So I decided to paint small pictures.  Why? So we don't have to carry large canvases back home.

After Art shopping, we heading out into the cold.  To escape the cold, we decided to stop and get something to eat.  We weren't that hungry to we decided to get tea.  So, we were in a very nice part of town.  Our 2 cups of tea were 96 yuan (16 dollars).  It was good but not sure if it was that good.  Oh well, well worth the price to get out of the cold.  It was some type of green tea and had a buttery taste. 

 Next, Ryan wanted to walk down this famous street in Beijing.  Remember how cold it is?   He promised we could make frequent stops along the way to warm up.  I saw a Forever 21 so we walked in.  We found out it was an entire mall.  This mall was very much like American malls.  There was a pizza hut there so of course we had to go there for lunch.  We got a beef steak type pizza.  It had an interesting sauce on it but it was good.  Anything we cheese is good since it's such a rarity.  The staff at Pizza Hut was dressed up with Santa hats and there was a Christmas tree outside.  (And that's my tinny tiny sweater.. it's' used to be longer then a accidentally washed it in hot water.)

 I ended up going back to Forever 21.  I actually bought some clothes.  No Haggling, fair prices, and a dressing room... much better than the markets.  Now back into the cold...

Next we saw a Coca-Cola shop were they sell drinks.  Perfect place to warm up (with a cold beer...) 


Finally made it to the subway and back home for dinner.  I decided I would be getting fruit for dinner since I  had eaten McDonalds and Pizza Hut.  (Oh forgot to mention, we had Mcdonalds for breakfast.)

Sunday, I decided to try out my paints:
This one looks better than my second attempt.  Ryan wants to know what I will do if I can't bring all my paintings back.  We decided I can sell them.  Not sure for how much though? 

After that I got my hair cut.  I was pretty nervous about this but it went very well.  One of the best cuts I've ever had.  Almost easier here than in America.  Shampoo, cut and dry 20 yaun. I couldn't believe it. Also got a facial.  Much more difficult to explain what I wanted there. 

This week I'm teaching Humpty Dumpty, I'm a little teapot, and Family Members. 

I hope everyone is having a good week. 
Julie



No comments:

Post a Comment