Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Chinese Wedding

We have just finished up our Dragon Boat festival vacation.  We had 3 days of vacation.  The first two days we went to eat hamburgers.  They were the best hamburgers we have ever ever eaten. Ok, we have not had a really good hamburger in 10 months so maybe that's it.  I was so sad when I got full and couldn't finish.

The wedding today started at 10:38. Our guess is that all important things start at something ending in an 8 because that is a lucky number in China.  When we got to the wedding, fireworks were going off.  They were super loud so I'm glad we missed the most of the firework show which I think started before 10:38.  Then we ran into some of my students who are also in Mina's (the bride's) class.  We tried to talk to the students and we think they wanted us to sit with them.  We were whisked away to sit with the other teachers though so we just went with the flow.

When we got to the table there was food, cigarettes, and liquor on the table.  After about another hour the wedding started with some break dancers.  Then Mina came down the isle and she was singing a song.  She was in a new dress from the fireworks show.  After that, I don't really know what happened.  I was playing peek-a-boo with the little boy in front of us.  There was music playing the whole times and it was completely acceptable to be talking the whole time.  The little boy was wowed by me singing the Taylor Swift song when it came on. 

After that it was time to eat.  We ate lots of food and were not sure what some of the things were but for the most part everything was good.  The newly married couple came around to every table. She had on a red dress this time so there were at least 3 wardrobe changes.   At this point, guests give the couple a red envelope with money in it.  Mina seemed surprised that we knew this tradition.  After about another 30 minutes, someone said goodbye to us. After that, everyone seemed to leave pretty quickly.  We thought about going to DQ to get icecream because there was no wedding cake but we decided we were full.

On a side note, I feel like I need to share this.  We were in a really nice building in a nice part of town.  There were restrooms in the building.  During the wedding event, I saw a boy go pee pee in the potted plant in the corner of the room.  This sounds surprising but we saw at least 4 more little children go pee pee outside of restrooms before the end of the day each time knowing where the closest restroom was.

There was another incident this weekend where we "saw it all."  I won't go into detail, I'll just let you use your imagination.





This is being our last free day in China, we took the bus half way into the city to eat at my favorite hot pot restaurant.  It was as awesome as always and I will be teaching myself how to cook that when I get home.

I am now done my "homework."  Ryan said it was my turn to write the blog post.

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the week.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment