Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Wednesday is Thursday and other random musings

It is currently lunch break at my branch school (Shimenying) on a Wednesday.  This is being mentioned because as those who've followed us over the past eight months are aware, I shouldn't be here until tomorrow.  Julie and I have therefore declared that Wednesday is Thursday and we are still trying to figure out just why this came to pass.

To get to the bottom of this mystery I ask one of my fellow English teachers if she knew the reason and what I was told was that there maybe a meeting that necessitates the schedule change (this is clearly my paraphrase, which includes some guesswork).  What makes this theory seem possible is that school ends early on Wednesdays. The students only have six class as opposed to seven or eight (depending on grade).  Theoretically there could be a meeting that the leaders want all the teachers to attend on a Thursday but the Wednesday schedule is needed to ensure everyone can be there without cancelling class.  If this is at all confusing, please know, I sincerely empathize.

After eight months of trial and error Julie and I are starting to feel a little more confident about our abilities in the classroom or we have lowered our expectations.  The jury's still out and may remain so indefinitely.  This week and in the past several it seems we haven't had those classes where everything blows up and you get that feeling similar to herding cats.  Although we are now under two months until our contract is up it's better late than never right?  (I'll advise if that was premature.)

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment